1. Version Requirements
3dsMax 2015 and higher.
Overinight Batch Render has been tested succesfully on 3dsMax 2015 to 2020. It should also work properly on future versions. However, if you experience any issue, please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org
With every purchase you get a lifetime license. It’s a node-locked license.
The Regular License lets you use the product in 2 different workstations. It comes with 2 license keys (1 domain per key).
The Corporate License allows you to activate the plugin on up to 10 workstations. It comes with 2 license keys (5 domains per key).
You have the right to get customer support for 1 year (+ access to the online user forums)
You will get free upgrades for the same major version of the product.
- Unzip the content of the .zip file and then drag the “.mzp” file onto one of your viewports in 3ds Max . The plugin automatically installs itself.
- A dialog called “Software Activation” pops-up. Enter your license key in the text field. (You received 2 license keys by email when you purchased the product).
- If the license key is correct, the plugin will start.
- To add the plugin’s icon to a toolbar, go to the Menu > Customize > Customize user interface…
- Go to the “Toolbars” tab and pick the category “Spline Dynamics”.
- The plugin’s name (“Overnight Batch Render”) must be listed there. Just drag it onto a toolbar and you’re done!
Overnight Batch Render is an easy-to-use batch rendering tool for 3dsMax, capable to process multiple scene files sequentially on a single computer.
This tool was designed to act as a little local render farm running on your machine, with a very simple and user-friendly interface. It frees you from staying in front of the computer all the time, supervising the rendering.
You just set up the render queue, fire the render and leave. The plugin will have completed all the work by the time you return.
Its main features are:
– Can handle multiple scene files, multiple cameras per scene and different scene states, working together with 3dsMax built-in Batch Render tool.
– Ability to suppress warning messages, that usually show up when opening or rendering new scenes, preventing interruptions during the rendering process.
– Option to override the render resolution of all your cameras from a single place. Very useful to make low resolution previews of the files in queue.
How it works? In 3 steps:
1. Add the desired scene files to the Render Queue, either during the working day or at the end of it.
2. Configure the settings
3. Start the render.
3. Render Queue
The Render Queue is the list of 3dsMax scene files to render. At the top of the main UI, there are 2 buttons to control it:
- Show Render Queue: opens the Render Queue dialog.
- (‘+’): Add Current Scene to Queue. Adds the filename of the currently open 3dsmax scene to the render queue.
The Render Queue Dialog (see image below) lets you manipulate the Render Queue, by adding, changing or deleting filenames from it.
At this dialog you set up which files to render in the desired order. You can also clear the whole Render Queue.
The plugin will prevent you to add the same file twice. It will also warn you if some of the files of the queue were deleted, by showing the symbol [E!] after the filename.
Empty fields will be ignored for rendering.
4. Settings Rollout
Override Settings (area)
Normally, you configure the resolution of the output images for each scene or camera, either from 3dsMax Render Settings dialog or from the built-in Batch Render tool. But suppose you want to test the whole redering process before shooting the final renders. Or maybe you want to make some low resolution render previews for the client (or for yourself) before rendering in high resolution.
For that purpose, the plugin lets you temporary change the resolution settings for all your cameras across all your scenes from a single place: this one.
Override Settings (checkbox): Enable to override the resolution settings for all files (and cameras) in Render Queue.
Width/Height | Percent (radiobuttons): Define whether to express the resolution as fixed width and height values or as a percentage of every resolution already set. These options alternatively toggle between the spinner controls for the width/height and the one for percentage.
Pixel Aspect (spinner): set up the pixel aspect of the image.
Ignore warnings (checkbox): Suppress all warning messages that may show up during the rendering job (missing textures, missing plugins, scene units convertion, etc.), adopting the default action.
Render multiple cameras (checkbox): If 3dsMax built-in Batch Render is configured to render multiple views/cameras in a scene, then the plugin will use those settings. If not (or if this checkbox is off), it will use the default active camera and settings.
This way you can set up different cameras, scene states and render presets for each of your scenes in queue.
If you are not familiar with 3dsMax Batch Render tool, please visit this page for more information.
Prevent overwriting (checkbox): If it’s on and the plugin finds duplicated output filenames within the files in queue, it will rename them to avoid overwriting files.
Shutdown computer at the end (checkbox): turn off the computer when the process is finished.
5. Other Considerations
Overnight Batch Render does not resolve existing issues or conflicts between 3dsMax and third-party renderers related to the redering process or file output.
To abort the rendering of a specific file, just press ESC one time, and the plugin will continue with the next file. To abort the whole rendering job, hold the ESC key for a while until it is cancelled.
6. Help / About section
This section includes a link to this manual, a button to activate your license and the credits for this script.
Activate your License (button)
Lets you enter you license key to activate the product. (You got it by email when purchased the plugin).
7. Contact / Support
For customer support or making suggestions or business proposals, please don’t hesitate to contact us through this Contact Form.
You can also write us directly to email@example.com.
All feedback is greatly appreciated. We will try to answer all your inquiries as soon as possible.
Enjoy Overnight Batch Render!